Table of contents of the article:
The internet world is full of terms and concepts that may seem abstract and complicated. One such term is managed hosting. In fact, understanding the importance and benefits of managed hosting is crucial for anyone with a website, especially those using Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress, WooCommerce, Prestashop, Magento, Drupal and Joomla.
What is Managed Hosting?
Managed hosting is a service that goes beyond simply providing space on a server for your website. It includes a package of additional services aimed at facilitating the management, security and efficiency of your website. These services may include server configuration, maintenance and monitoring, application support, advanced security services, load balancing, backup and disaster recovery.
Managed hosting or managed hosting is an IT provisioning model where a service provider rents out Dedicated Servers and hardware associated with a single customer and operates those systems on behalf of the customer.
In managed hosting, customers can rent a complete hosting service which, in addition to the classic hosting plan, also involves initial management during the analysis of the requirements, choice of hardware and software, migration of the site, of the related files and databases, the subsequent performance optimization through software configuration on the server side and application side, as well as a continuous monitoring and continuous management of backup and disaster recovery procedures in order to guarantee an uptime close to 100% and in any case the best possible performance and performance.
Unlike standard hosting in which the customer buys and pays for a classic hosting plan and must autonomously transfer the site and take care of all those operations reserved for system engineers, with the serious danger of making even serious mistakes, in a managed hosting system the provider takes care of practically everything except the development of the site and part of the contents.
Who is managed hosting suitable for?
Although a managed hosting has necessarily higher prices given the quality of the service and the human intervention that even passively monitors system graphics, traffic, server security, patches, backup integrity, on a regular basis. managed hosting in the medium and long term is the most suitable choice for those farsighted businesses that do not want to get lost behind technical virtuosity of doubtful success or skills other than those necessary.
If an online newspaper, for example, wanted to manage all the cutting-edge aspects of a website and focus exclusively on the editorial part, without thinking about cache, performance, database tuning, backup and disaster recovery, managed management would be without a shadow of a problem. doubt the best solution.
Managed Hosting Skills and Responsibilities
Management services are a key aspect of what differentiates managed hosting from other dedicated hosting services. Generally, managed hosting providers are responsible for hardware and software setup and configuration, technical support, patch management, system maintenance, monitoring, and updates. Managed hosting providers, however, may offer a menu of additional services and / or packages ranging from offering basic services to more expensive packages of more advanced services. In most cases, managed hosting services can be customized to meet a customer's specific business requirements.
Among the services that customers can expect from managed hosting providers include:
- Backup and Disaster Recovery: A managed hosting service offers the security of periodic backups of your data, crucial for preventing the loss of information in the event of technical problems or security attacks. If your site were to be compromised, the managed hosting provider is able to restore your data and put the site back online in a short time, thus minimizing downtime.
- Load balancing: This term refers to the ability to distribute network traffic evenly across various servers to avoid overloading. This feature is essential for high-traffic websites, to ensure smooth use even during peak access.
- Security Services: In a world where cyber attacks are increasingly frequent and sophisticated, having a high level of security is essential. Managed hosting providers offer advanced security services, including periodic vulnerability scans, intrusion detection and prevention, and distributed denial of service (DoS) mitigation. These services aim to identify and neutralize threats before they can harm your site.
- Physical security measures to safeguard data centers: In addition to cyber security, it is important to ensure the physical security of data centers. Managed hosting providers often employ stringent physical security measures, such as controlled access, video surveillance, fire and flood detection, to protect servers from environmental hazards.
- Server configuration, maintenance and monitoring: Managing a server requires technical skills and time. With managed hosting, the provider takes care of these tasks, making sure that the server is configured correctly, kept up-to-date and monitored constantly to prevent performance or security problems.
- Application support: Managed hosting providers are experts not only in server management, but also in specific CMS such as WordPress, WooCommerce, Prestashop, Magento, Drupal and Joomla. This means they can provide expert support for installing, configuring and troubleshooting these platforms.
- Technical troubleshooting support: Finally, a significant benefit of managed hosting is the availability of an expert team for troubleshooting technical issues. If your site has a problem, you are not alone: you can count on professionals ready to help you solve it in a timely manner.
Managed hosting plans are often accompanied by an SLA service level agreement, which outlines the services the customer is paying for and the service standards that the hosting provider is required to meet.
The Economic Value and Efficiency of Managed Hosting
In the world of hosting, more horsepower doesn't necessarily equal better performance. Take, for example, the case of a customer with a high-traffic site using an unmanaged dedicated server. This customer may have a powerful and expensive hardware infrastructure that appears to offer high performance. However, in many cases, migrating to a managed server with less powerful hardware, but optimized through a sophisticated software stack, can actually lead to better performance and significant savings.
We have observed cases where customers have reduced their monthly expenses from 2000 to 300 euros, while simultaneously increasing the speed of their website and receiving additional services, such as 24/XNUMX assistance for critical issues.
Outsourcing and savings on personnel.
For medium to large businesses, managing servers in-house can be a significant burden on human resources. To ensure 24/XNUMX service, a company may need to hire the equivalent of three full-time IT experts, a cost that can be significantly reduced by outsourcing to a managed hosting provider.
In managed management, most of the work involves monitoring systems and responding promptly to critical problems or major disasters. By delegating these tasks to a managed hosting provider, a company can ensure higher efficiency and save significantly on personnel expenses.
Make the Most of Your Hosting
If you have an ambitious web project and are considering switching to a managed hosting service, we encourage you to explore the opportunities this model can offer. Not only could you save money and resources, but you could also improve the performance of your website and benefit from professional and always available technical support. A managed hosting service may seem like a larger investment, but the long-term benefits can far outweigh the initial investment.